Ideas to contemplate as you work to realize your dreams, fulfill your goals, and create beautiful music:
- Learn to play simple things brilliantly. Fundamentals are the key to everything. Playing a simpler piece in an elegant fashion is better than playing a difficult piece poorly.
- Be consistent in your practice. Your work each day creates your future success.
- Work on effortlessness. Your playing should look effortless, feel effortless, and sound effortless. (See number 1)
- Learn to move gracefully and artistically from one note to another. Make your articulation a thing of beauty.
- Use technology. The metronome and recorder should become your friends.
- Ask yourself — What did I do well? What could I have done differently? What are my next steps to a better performance?
- Listen to excellent musicians making superb music.
- Be a great colleague. Take time to share thoughts and ideas with your fellow students.
- Enjoy your music!
Dr. Jeannine Jordan, organist, has a large organ studio with students of all ages and skill levels. With her husband, David Jordan, media artist of Pro-Motion Music , they are the creators and presenters of the dramatic story-driven organ and multimedia concert experiences, From Sea to Shining Sea, Bach and Sons, and Around the World in 80 Minutes. Subscribe to our free monthly e-newsletter for more intriguing and engaging articles – click here #DrJeannineJordan #OrganAndMultimediaConcert